Recipes for festive cupcakes and a Hot Chocolate with rum. For the recipe of these mouth-watering looking gingerbread cupcakes have a look at bakerbynature.com.
A match made in heaven are these festive cupcakes and a Hot Chocolate with rum. These flavours fit really well together and are also a feast for the eye. You can make this as a last-minute favourite on Christmas day. If you want to make it very easy, you can buy a cupcake mix, follow the recipe and finish it off it with some Christmas decorations.
- oil or butter: ½ cup
- cocoa: ¼ cup
- cake flour: 1¼ cup
- baking soda: 1 teaspoon
- baking powder: 1 teaspoon
- eggs: 2
- hot chocolate mix: ½ cup + ¼ cup
- sugar: ¼ cup
- milk: ½ cup
- cream cheese: 8 oz.
- marshmallow cream: 7-8 oz.
- confectioner’s sugar: ½ cup
- mini marshmallows: for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine together the oil, cocoa, cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, eggs, hot chocolate mix, sugar, and milk. Mix together with a hand mixer until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into cupcake wrappers; fill each wrapper about ⅔ full.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and place them on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, mix together the cream cheese, marshmallow cream, confectioner’s sugar, and hot chocolate mix with a hand mixer until thoroughly combined.
- Place the mixture into a pastry bag with your favorite decorator tip on the end of the bag. Decorate the cupcakes by swirling the icing from the outside into the center.
- Sprinkle each cupcake with mini marshmallows.
- Cut paper straws in half and insert a ½ straw into each cupcake.
I have made a Hot Chocolate with rum by the original recipe of Nigella Lawson.
- 2 cups milk
- 3 1/2 ounces best-quality dark chocolate, bittersweet or semi sweet, as preferred
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark rum, or to taste
- Put the milk into a saucepan and break the chocolate into pieces and add to the milk along with a cinnamon stick, honey, and sugar and heat gently until the chocolate is melted.
- Add the vanilla and mix with a small hand whisk and still whisking, add a spoonful of the rum first and taste to see if you want more. Add more sugar if you want this sweeter, too.
- Take out the cinnamon stick and pour into 2 cappuccino or caffe latte cups.
Finally, I have topped it off with some whipped cream. Decorate with some chocolate flakes and coloured sprinkles. For more hot chocolate recipes have a look here.